Nowadays in 1000 children, every two children in the U.S are born with hearing loss or deaf. Also, few children will develop hearing loss later due to infection or medication side effects, genetic conditions, or exposure to loud noises.
This article elaborates on suitable hearing aids for children and how to pick the right one. Also, we have discussed why you shouldn’t prefer programmable hearing aids for children.
What are programmable hearing aids?
This is the new signal processing techniques, new modern terminology, an increased range of selection options, and greater dispenser involvement in hearing aid selection that can be expected.
Significant contributions of this technology may lead to the introduction of improved hearing aid selection procedures and greater knowledge of the hearing mechanism.
It is important to realize that the pathway to defining the ‘optimal hearing aid’ is extremely complex and will take many years after the advent of digital technology.
What A Digital Programmable Hearing Aids Offer?
- Microchips: This allows the aid to work fast and even better than analog hearing aids. It has multiple settings and instructions at once.
- Hearing aids settings: It works with specific instructions and controls the microchip. It has settings for you to adjust the desired volume you prefer.
- Accurate sound: One of the biggest advantages of programmable hearing devices is that the sound quality is more realistic. It can convert sound waves into digital form before processing by canceling the background noise.
- Design: It is a small and sleeker digital hearing aid. It takes little space as compared to analog ware which was used earlier.
However, when it comes to hearing aids for children, often they are found to be obsessed while wearing programmable hearing aids. Side effects like headaches, itchy ear canals, soreness around the ears may happen among children while wearing programmable hearing aids. Also, modern programmable hearing aids come with Bluetooth connectivity which may harm children’s brains.
Owing to that, medical experts suggest pediatric hearing aids for children. Pediatric Hearing Aids are specially made for child usage and it differs a lot when compared with normal hearing aids.
Why Do Children Need to Wear Pediatric Hearing Aids & How Is It Different?
Children with hearing loss can wear hearing aids to improve hearing. These days’ children just a couple of months old are wearing hearing aids. A proper consultation with pediatricians is absolute before using hearing aids for children. Also, it requires periodic examination of baby hearings by pediatricians.
Pediatric hearing aids
All hearing aids devices contain a microphone to pick a sound. It also has a processor that analyses the sound and filters out unwanted sounds like noise and a speaker who is speaking to deliver the amplified sound deep inside the ear. It has a power battery in it that can be recharged or disposable.
The latest models of hearing aids also connect to devices like smartphones, TV, tablets, and laptops allowing direct sound streams through hearing aids. Approaching wholesale sellers will give the benefit of paying cheap and best prices on hearing aids.
How Does Pediatric Hearing Aids Differ?
Pediatric hearing aids function almost similarly to the hearing aids which adults wear by adults. However, there are few key differences because they are specially made to be worn by kids and infants.
- When compared with normal adult hearing aids, pediatric hearing aids are highly durable.
- To facilitate communication and learning among kids & infants, pediatric hearing aids are specially designed to be compatible with FM systems & other assistive devices.
- Pediatric hearing aids come with tamper-resistant batteries
- Most important, almost every pediatric hearing aid is free from allergens and not designed with harmful chemicals.
What to look for before buying a pediatric hearing aid for your children?
- Severity of hearing loss: Behind the ear [BTE] hearing aids are for mild to profound types of hearing loss.
- Ear condition: BTE devices are suitable for children with chronic ear infections.
- Ability and skill: Hearing aids will help a lot of toddlers and children who have difficulty hearing and talking. These aids improve speaking ability in speaking.
- Anatomy: Hearing aids are of many types and sizes for outer ears and shallow ear canals.
- Features: Many hearing aids have the latest features such as programmable environments, directional microphones, wireless connectivity, t-coil, radio, Bluetooth, adjustment, Smartphone control and noise and feedback reduction.
- Safety: The BTE hearing aids consist of soft plastic, while ITE consists of hard plastic. ITE devices may hurt your child’s ears when it’s broken.
- Other preferences: Some of the hearing aids parts are waterproof and colorant. Pick the one that suits you well.